Monday, December 22, 2014

Positive energy from a refugee camp

Dearest Loyal Blog Reader,

Sometimes you feel out of no where a lot of stress knocks at your door, your mind boggles at a million and one things all at once and then you either explode, physically hurt anyone beside you (lets just hope none of you do that), cry, lock yourself inside or... somehow, somewhere, out of nowhere all this disappears. Magic? Maybe.

Anyhow.. let's just keep my complaints aside. Back to why I am writing this post. Yesterday I visited some of the lovely youth in one of the Refugee Camps in the Kurdistan Region. My visit was long overdue but I came back almost electrified with positive energy. I know. Positive energy from the youth at the refugee camp? How does that work?



Every time I visit it's a wake up call. Sometimes I return upset, other times angry and sometimes in tears. Yesterday I came back empowered, happy, stress free and sky high positive energy. Hang in there, I'll explain. I promise.

Basically we met with our volunteers* they are young boys and girls who undertake peer education sessions (a friend and myself trained these youth, you can read all about it right here) to decide what are the next steps for 2015.


The girls -- and few boys -- inspired me because they live under tents, surrounded by mud, cold at night as they listen to the rain drumming on the tent above their head, BUT, they wake up in the morning with a wide smile, they laugh, get changed and go to change lives of others. How amazing is that?

They have more reasons to complain than the number of hairs on my head (ah! not a good example Saza) yet still they do their volunteering work, are full of energy and want to do something in their spare time; they want to do something for the little community. They are praying every second for the schools to open. They are clinging onto life. An inspiration for those of us who don't stop complaining even though we are living under the roof of a house and have a monthly income.


Above: H.S. and I interviewing one of the  girls before we began the peer education training. Today, the girl you see above is trainer herself, a lovely girl who has become a dear friend of mine.

I will sign off here,
Lots of love from
My Nest in Kurdistan
Sazan,



P.S. Just a last note: I wrote this the night I came back from the camp last week, not sure why I didn't post it.

*A local NGO is running our youth space, after a pause in activities we visited to meet with the youth again

Photos: Rewan & Aral Kak's Facebook page, and START NGO

No comments: