Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Come with me to Lalesh




I am just in the process of discovering my land. Step by step, one place at a time. A few months back we decided to take a class trip to Lalesh, which is the Yezidi shrine near Duhok. It has been one of the most unbelievable experiences I have had so far.

It was the first time for me to be so close to the Yezidi people, and what wonderful people they are. They looked so pure, gentle and loving. The local Sheikh gave us a tour through the shrine.
Above: A Sheikh dressed in white just outside the the entrance to the Shrine.

We had to take off our shoes and enter what I like to call ‘a wonderland’ of its own.

We tend to stereotype people and places before we actually have the chance to see them for ourselves. I felt more welcome in Lalesh then in Erbil itself, the hospitality of the locals and their willingness to help was definitely a highlight of the trip.
Natural spring water upon entering the shrine.

(I wrote this a few years back, but never got a chance to finish it off or publish it on my blog, I saw it in the drafts today and decided to publish it in honor of what is taking place against the Yezidi people today.)

No comments: